Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Recipe - Hopefully the first of many!

OK - So with my recent "life happenings", I'm not so up on the exercising as I should be. However, I am concentrating some good efforts into the food we put in our bodies. As you all know last June I was told by a very prestigious doctor (Dilly Sextuplets of IN ring a bell, yep that's my doc) that I had entered menopause with FSH levels so high, he had only seen 6 case of that in women my age. Then as the months passed last summer, I chose to not participate in his recommended protocol, but instead live a drug free life. I also began exercising and eating right. The 21 detox I did last fall REALLY opened my eyes as to the effects of what we eat. 21 days of no preservatives, additives, added hormones or chemicals changed my life completely......as you know we are currently 4 1/2 months pregnant and I haven't had a hot flash in months! :)

So with that being said, I am on a quest to take out favorite family recipes and transform them into amazing dishes with only the best nutrients. How could anyone argue with that! So here goes my first: Crockpot Southwestern Chicken.....a family favorite from my sister in law, Jen.

NORMAL Crockpot Southwestern Chicken:
2 cans corn
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 jar chunky salsa
6 skinless chicken breast - halved
1 cup shredded cheese

Mix corn, beans and 1/2 of salsa in bottom of crockpot. Layer on chicken then top with rest of salsa. Cook in crockpot 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 on low. Then top with cheese. Serve on rice or tortilla chips and garnish with sour cream.

MAKE ME LIVE LONGER Crockpot Southwestern Chicken:
26-32 oz. of frozen corn or fresh out of the garden/farmer's market*
15 oz. natural black beans already soaked and prepared**
16 oz. homemade salsa***
6 Organic skinless chicken breast - halved (or all natural, the point....NO HORMONES ADDED!)
1 cup Organic shredded cheese - or we just leave it off!

Follow the same steps as above to prepare. Serve on REAL whole grain rice - NOT instant! Or if you are chip family and just can't resist, make sure to have whole grain tortilla chips.

*always go for frozen veggies over canned to cut out preservatives. If you have/know of a gardener, get theirs fresh this summer and freeze yourself to save $$$.
**Again, preparing your own beans as opposed to canned will cut out preservatives. it does take a long time....like soaking them over night?!?! Make large batches at once, divide in 15 oz (can size), bag and freeze. The unthaw perfect to use and only takes seconds at that moment saving you time.
***We now make all our own salsa. I plant a few tomato plants of my own and also use my father in laws produce from his garden. Canning is easy, you do not need a caner! I will post this easy and good recipe later as this is getting "wordy". But homemade = all fresh and no chemicals!

WOW!!!! THIS RECIPE IS SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!! It also makes a TON. Our family can eat off it for a couple meals and it never gets old! Some times we take left overs and make tortilla wraps with shredded lettuce inside - great lunch to go. This is also a great recipe if you have company coming over...everyone will love it!

ENJOY!

1 comment: