Thursday, April 15, 2010

Trader Joe findings...

Ok, friends. I did some more research and have a few new finding to share.
Sunday I was able to spend over an hour at our Trader Joe grocery and then the next two hours at Kroger - comparing prices, checking out selection, etc. Here is what I found hope it can help you.

1. Yogurt. This is something I now like to buy organic knowing what I know about dairy products. Trader Joes has a MUCH bigger selection/flavors (and by flavor, i mean real fruit, not the kid's Dora explorer add dye/sugar and call it cotton candy). When it came to price Trader Joes small individual cups were 80-90cents each, keep in mind they were organic. Kroger's regular ones cost less than 40 cents. However, when it came to the 32 oz. tub, TJ had more variety and price was $2.99. Kroger has two flavors of organic in a tub and it is $3.99. I go with TJ tubs, and when home put them in individual serving size containers - easy for Adam to grab for lunch, and Emma and I to grab for a snack.

2. Frozen fruit. My main find was blueberries. I prefer the organic wild berries (smaller size berry and packed with more nutritional punch). They are $2.99 at TJ for a pound. Per ounce this has been the cheapest i have found in any grocery store including Meijers, Marsh and Giant Eagle. The other frozen fruits seemed to nickle and dime it against Krogers, however there was a bigger selection of organic at TJ.

3. Frozen veggies. Didn't spend a whole lot of time in this section just because it wasn't on my list of needs this time around. but i did pick up a couple bags of organic corn at TJ $1.69....Kroger had it on sale for a dine cheaper. Some veggies I don't go organic on do to the pesticides usage such as broccoli, so definitely cheaper at Kroger when the 10 for $10 sale comes around.

4. Fresh fruit/veggies. This was a toughie. Being my first time to really check out TJ, I was a little confused on the way their signs were marked. They do carry conventional produce as well as organic. A bigger selection of organic when it comes to comparison to Kroger (unless you live in Powell OH - that Kroger rocks the world on organic produce!) TJ did have organic carrots for 89 cents/lb...i liked the idea of that and red bell peppers 2 pack for $2.99. I did pick up a bag of organic pears at TJ for $2.29 for 2 lbs....Kroger regular pears were $3.38 for 2 lbs! I got a pineapple at TJ for $3.99, Krogers was $4.19.
Overall observation - TJ has more organic selections and the organic prices seem comparable if not cheaper than regular grocery. However when it comes to regular conventional produce SOME of Kroger seemed to win on price.....I'll keep my broccoli buying there. :)

5. Milk. You know my feeling on organic milk! I know those signs they have now in the grocery say the FDA has no found evidence that the hormone added makes a difference, but the FDA hasn't meet me, now have they! ;) Anyhow, a big encourager of ALL organic dairy, this is what I found. TJ's gallons are $6, which is exactly what Kroger will run sales for. Kroger will also put their 1/2 gallons down to $2.50 many times as well. I also have found myself finding coupons for the brands that Kroger carries. TJ is their own brand so no coupon madness there.

6. BRAWK! Chicken time. Well kids, I must admit, I find nothing but disappointment here after living in OH. Kroger in OH carries its own brand of locally grown chicken and many times would put it on manager's special near exp. date for $3.50 lb. That is when I would buy it ALL and freeze. I can not find that here - ANYWHERE. i have been to two Marsh's, three different Krogers, and Meijers. All have the wimpest (if any) selection of organic chicken and it is all expensive - like $6-7 lb. TJ did have a nice selection....$7 lb which didn't float my boat, but it just means I must manage my other purchases better to compensate. TJ did have "natural" chick breast indivual wrapped for $5.49 lb. Now, still learning, but I am not a fan of "natural" chicken. The packaging claims no MSGs or hormones added to the animals. That is good, but it still doesn't take out the bad estrogen and hormones in grain given to the chickens. However TJ's "natural" chicken did say it was vegetarian feed - so that made me feel better and I bought it. I will not buy the Perdue/Tyson all natural in regular stores. Personal opinion, I guess. Just a HUGE advocate of organic....totally worth the price for my family.

7. Misc. Overall, TJ seemed like a small store, but was packed with selection. I picked up some brown rice spaghetti ($1.99) just out of curiosity and a switch from our Kroger Whole grain spaghetti ($1.45). TJ has a very wide variety of organics and all natural items where Kroger is limited.....but then again, it would depend how much organic you buy to make the $$ worth it.

Overall price - I think there are definite items I will stop at TJ to buy, however it is conveniently located next to my Kroger. If it is out of your way, you may want to consider the worth/value of driving there. Prices did seem cheaper at TJ's, however I am a HUGE coupon fan of Kroger and you just can't beat that many times on conventional items. (not to mention Kroger send you free coupons quarterly for regular purchased items - they are the only store that tracks what you buy)

Hope this can help some of you busy moms (or dads) and give you an insight. Please comment any additional info that we can all share!
Whole foods is my next investigation - CAN'T WAIT!!! They are huge!!!! I will take full notes and report back - let me know if there is a specific item you want me to check out - I'll do it!
Jill

1 comment:

  1. Good to know! Thanks for doing all that research, Jill.

    ReplyDelete