Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reflection and Soapbox

So with the goal of 5K completed and a week of reflection, I have discovered some new things about myself and set some new goals for November.

I'm becoming a big fan of the Biggest Loser show. Last week one of the contestants said "I don't want to exist anymore, I want to LIVE." How inspirational. This could not sum up my past four months in the quest to become "alive" again. With the past two years, the battle with my health - both physically and mentally - has taken me to the lowest of lows. Everyday was a struggle. To be where I am now is an absolute turn around.....and to think that no one made me do it, I just decided it had to be done. And how thankful I am for that decision.

So can not help keep thinking of my precious Emma standing at the finish line of the 5K jumping up and down, yelling "you won mommy you won!!"....when in fact, around 20 runners had already crossed the line. But you know what, she was right. I did win. I won my own personal race. I beat every thump Satan has thrown my way the past couple years. No more will he knock me down like that. I won. I beat not being able to run to running 34 minutes. I beat a knee injury, a torn ligament in my foot, hormone imbalance, thyroid issues, and much more. I beat depression that I have never felt before. I beat over 30 pounds. You are right Emma, mommy did win. She beat her old self. Couldn't be more perfect. I'm so thankful to have her.

Which will bring me to my soapbox. Most of my post have been more on the uplifting side with tidbits to help along the journey. Not today. Today is about EXCUSES.
Setting the goals I have the past four months has been a lonely road at times. Not too many people in the world think nutrition and exercise is a priority. It is hard to make changes and set goals with few friends that really support and understand the importance of it all. These are the ones that hold no excuses in their own lives.

Excuses. The devil was very gracious to lay out several for me over the past four months. It would have been sooooo easy to give in, just for a day, just for a week, or all together. Here is some of my journey with him.

Injuries: I tore up my knee extremely bad the first phase of running. It hurt so bad that walking up stairs was tough. Didn't care. Kept going. I got help from a chiro and continued to build up the muscle in my legs to support my knees. A torn ligament in my foot occurred in August...hurt so bad many days I limped just in the house. Could have easily thrown the towel in and caved...but I got some laser treatment and ran with pain. Pain "just weakness getting out".

Physical pain: Going through all the hormonal pain, I began running when hot flashes were at their peak. Breast so tender it felt like there were clothes pins on them with rubber bands attached to my toes (sorry for the description but its true). Cramps. Back pain. You name it, Satan handed it out. ...and just for the record, my pain tolerance is pretty high - two kidney stones will do that to you!
Many days when running, I could feel all this pain and be so close to home....I wanted to walk soooooo bad. But what good would that have done. When you set a goal, you do it. Looking back, I am shocked at the mental and physical lows I beat....that surprises me. Proves that where there is a will, there is a way.

Time: So easy to get caught up in the day. Caught up in the week. Where does time go? Could have easily said "tomorrow"....or "i have until October". No way. Everyday counted. Whatever it took to exercise just a little bit. Getting up 10 minutes earlier, or staying up an extra 10 minutes before bed. Walking at the park with weights on my ankles while Emma played. Time.....if you want, you commit and you do not make time and excuse. I definitely could spend more time moving than sitting here on the computer typing this blog! ;)

Traveling/out of town: hey, shoes go anywhere! And hand weight do too. I can remember a 4 hour drive to my in-laws where I spent one hour of it doing arm curls in the car while Adam drove! And I will say, there were many trips I have packed up some of my own food.....not everyone has apples in their homes believe it or not. Prepare, plan and commit. Its all about self discipline.

Weather: Too cold. ohhhhh how easy it would be to stay in that warm bed. But what good was that going to get me. God gave me the will to get out and hit the pavement when it 90 degrees and when it was 38 degrees. If my legs worked, then I had no excuse.

Money: Hey no expensive trainer here! No fancy equiptment other than our treadmill (but what does the outside sidewalk offer that the treadmill doesn't?) And for those of you who have never met my husband...he is the Dave Ramsey Jr in the world. Our monthly grocery allowance hasn't changed. There are no excuses that eating healthy is more expensive. I've sacrificed some areas to be able to buy more healthy - but hey, cutting out frozen pizza and mac 'n cheese so Emma can have organic milk with no added hormones is worth the move...and didn't cost a dime.

No excuses. I look over the past four months and can not believe the opportunities to quit. To quit for just a day or just a week......anyway it would be quiting. I can't let that happen. It is too important to my family to not quit. With everything that I have learned the most important thing is that with good nutrition and exercise I am adding years to my life and significantly decreasing my risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and much more. And if I do ever get cancer or sick, what I am doing now with my body is going to make it that much easier to fight and beat. That is is something that can not put any amount of excuses on. I am so excited to say that I am on the way. My family is on the way. We are all living. Living for a better life. To feel good. To win. For me it is as simple as waking up each day and loving my family.

Well, that my friends was my soapbox speech. Are you up for a "no excuses November"? I am.

Here are my November goals.
Run four miles Thanksgiving morning.
Do P90X three times a week in the evening with my husband.
Workout 6 mornings a week, alternating running/walking/weight strengthening/pilates
Stretch every morning out of bed, stretch every night before bed.
Drink 64 ounces of water a day.
Keep learning new and yummy ways to eat right

The game face is on my friends! last night was the first P90X with Adam - went good, but today is killing me!!! Feel the burn! Didn't stop me from getting up and out this morning though! Very very cold, but got out and walked/sprinted 2 miles with Hank. Love that dog.
Feeling it tonight....in a good way though. Hoping I can get this latest back injury snapped out of my system soon!

Come on gang, lets do it!!!! Make your November a no excuses month!!!
I DARE YOU.
Who wants to be able to say "I WON" at the end of the month?
Living, not existing,
Jill

1 comment: